The pioneers of this district were men who to a great extent were religiously inclined. Among the very early settlers were many identified with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. And to this denomination should be given the honor of holding the first religious services in this district. As early as 1809 a camp-meeting was con-ducted by these people two miles south of Trenton, on the place now known as the Reuben Bradley farm. It was on the edge of a large scope of open barren, but which is now heavily timbered. Here was the camp-meeting ground, with round-pole huts and camps. In addition to this were several huts made of bed-clothes, and a few wagons in which their provisions were kept. And to this camp-meeting people came from a distance of fifty miles, coming in their plain homespun garments, with their wallets and saddle-bags filled with meal. The stand was composed of a few rough slabs for the minister to stand on, and an altar in front, surrounded by a set of rough logs made for seats, covered over with green boughs, making an arbor to keep off the sun by day and the heavy dews by night. Here the preachers exhorted, sung and prayed for days and nights, hardly stopping for intermission. Here the anxious would crowd to the altar by scores for prayer. Among the ministers here were Rev.
Finis Ewing, whom we have mentioned above; Samuel King, of Tennessee; and Ephraim McLean, of Logan County: all ministers of the Cumberland Church. In 1810 this denomination, under the direction of Finis Ewing, built a church south of the camp ground about half a mile, near the old Lebanon Springs, where the late F. N. Child lived for many years. It was of brick, and was used for a church by this denomination until 1821, when, as we have mentioned above, Ewing and all of his followers left this county and moved to Missouri, where another Lebanon Church was formed. Soon after this a Baptist organisation was formed here, and the church was used by them for many years. Among the early members of what was known as the Lebanon Baptist Church were Stokely Waggoner, Reuben Bradley, William Arnold and wife, and many others. It was at one time in a very prosperous condition, and had about 200 members. Among the early ministers were Jack Wilson, Reuben Ross, Mr. Warfield and Robert Williams. In 1859 the Trenton Baptist Church was organized, the constituent members being from the old Lebanon Church. The history of this new organization will be found in connection with that of the town of Trenton.
Mount Hermon Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized more than fifty years ago by Revs. H. B. Hill, Thomas Bone and others, who were known as ” Circuit Riders.” The first- Elders were Joseph Fraser, Samuel Chesnut, E. T. Porter and W. C. Harrell. The congregation was under the charge of Rev. Silas Davis for a considerable length of time. This good man’s memory is cherished by the children and grandchildren of the people who heard him. He was a man of marked ability, and his ministry was very successful. He died at Princeton, Ky., in the year 1851. Rev. Casky was the next pastor, who labored success-fully until he gave place to Rev. J. M. Gill in 1858. This gentleman’s pastorate’ lasted for twenty years, during which time nearly all the present members were added. Succeeding him were Revs. M. M. Smith and B. M. Taylor, both of whom. have done efficient work.
Zion Baptist Church was organized in about 1825. The church building was of logs, and stood on the Miller’s Mill road, near the Mansfield place. Among the early members were the Tumleys, Dickinsons and many others. Rev. Boone was the first pastor. In 1833, when the Christian denomination first sprang into existence, a split occurred in this church, which resulted in most of the members joining the new faith and organising a new church.
Zion Christian Church
Among the early members were Rev. Boone and family, Mrs. Sebree, Mrs. Anderson Garth, Miss Jeffries, Henry Ewing, John Carver and J. Tutt. In about 1843 a new building was put up on the land now owned by Mrs. Sebree, which was afterward used by this congregation. About this time the name of the society was changed to Corinth, and by this title the church still continues to be known. In about 1865 the congregation was moved to Trenton, and the present house built at a cost of about $2,500, on land donated by Mr. Sebree. At present the society has about one hundred members. The present officers are: Elders, Dr. Ramsey, Mr. Graham and Ed. Webb; and Deacons, Charles Rutherford, Charles Crutchfield, Charles Burness and Mr. Cook. Rev. Boone was the first pastor. He was followed by Revs. Henry T. Anderson, Charles M. Day (who preached for thirty years), Jesse Furgerson, Miller, McChesney, Robert Carver and Waddell. A Sunday-school is at present held every Sunday, with Ed. Webb as Superintendent.
New Zion Baptist Church
In 1833, after the split between the Baptists and Christians in the old Zion Church, some of the members drew off and organised a new church three miles from the old one, on the Clarksville road. Here a frame house was built at a cost of about $400. Among the early members were R. C. Dickinson, T. C. Waller, Thomas Watts and Edward Tinsley. In 1868 a new building was erected at a cost of about $800, and is still in use. At present the church has a membership of about sixty.