As we have mentioned elsewhere, almost as soon as the old State road and the Elkton and Keysburg road were surveyed, what is known as the town of Old Allensville sprang into existence at the crossing of these two thoroughfares. Most of the land where the town used to stand was owned by P. A. Wines, and now forms part of the land owned by his daughter, Mrs. Sallie Haddox. Exactly how the name Allensville came to be given to this little hamlet is not definitely known. In an early day there was a family of Allens living in the neighborhood, but whether any one of them was ever immediately connected with the town that now bears the family name cannot be ascertained. Probably the first man to have a store there was Ned Trabue. He did business here for some time. Clayborn Wooldridge was another early merchant at this point, also Edward Anderson and Charles Hatcher. At no time were there more than two stores doing business at once at this point. Aside from this there was a blacksmith shop and a collection of some four or five houses. In 1859 Spencer Small and D. B. Hutchings were doing business there. In that year the work on the Memphis Branch of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad was begun, and completed the year following. The railroad crossed the Elkton, Allensville & Keysburg road one mile east of Old Allensville, and as a natural sequence the new town sprang into existence almost as soon as the trains began running. The land now contained in the present limits of the town was at that time owned mostly by F. A. Anderson and E. W. Hughes. No regular lots were ever laid off or plat of the town ever made, but most of the land was sold to the people purchasing by F. A. Anderson.
William Frasier was probably the ‘first to put up a store here, on the site now occupied by Mr. Wooldridge as a drug store. Spencer Small also moved his stock down from Old Allensville, and built a store where John Adams’ store is now. Hughes & Donalson put up a store next, on the opposite side of the street. E. A. Yost bought the store, and while he was running it the building was burned. During the war most of the merchants doing business here were compelled to suspend. Strangers came in, some from the North, others were Germans from Louisville. Soon after hostilities ceased these merchants went North again, and the former business men again assumed control to some extent. In 1865 Philip Hurshfield built the store now occupied by Mr. Yates, and did business here until 1879. John Adams came here about the same time, and began business in the store that had been built by Small & Wooldridge. Here he did business until 1878, when that building and several others were burned. Adams then began the erection of the brick he now occupies, finishing it the following year. Frasier & Winston soon after the war put up the building now occupied by Haddox & Riley. In 1869 C. W. Haddox purchased this store, and in the following year he took J. T. Donalson in as a partner. In 1871 he sold an interest to C. E. Haddox (Donalson having retired a short time before), and this firm continued in business until 1882, when C. W. Haddox died, and his brother continued the business by himself for about six months, and then took in N. B. Riley as a partner. This firm is also still doing business here. In 1871 O. M. Grinter ran a confectionery store here. About 1872 Dr. R. B. Richardson ran a drug store. In the following year he sold out to H. Q. Grinter, who afterward took in his brother, O. M. Grinter, as a partner. These gentlemen’ did business there only a short time, and then retired. In 1875, however, the latter started up in the drug business, and is also still engaged here. William Small has recently opened a harness shop here, and W. J. Yates came here in January, 1884, and is now running a dry goods store. J. N. Wooldridge is now running a drug store at this point in the room formerly occupied by his brother. R. D. Bellamy came here in 1866, and opened a furniture store and cabinet-shop, and is still doing business. From about 1880 to 1882 the little village of Allensville boasted of a newspaper called the Gazette; it was published by W. H. Frayser, and while in operation led a rather precarious existence. John T. Smith is the present Postmaster at this point, and his daughter, Miss Fannie, is running a millinery store, and another daughter, Miss Jennie, is running a hotel here, all in the same building. At present the town contains the following business houses: Two general stores, one agricultural store, one hardware store, one dry goods and clothing house, three drug stores, one furniture store, one harness shop, one millinery store; there are also two hotels, one tobacco factory, and three physicians.
W. W. Frasier was the first station agent at this point. He was succeeded by Newton Thomas, who attended to the business until January last, when Mr. Sublett assumed control, and is at present filling the position. The town at present contains about 300 inhabitants.
Mount Gilead Baptist Church was constituted in Old Allensville as early as 1815. Among the first members were Stephen Trabue, Squire Boone and wife, Mrs. Polly Bowen, Haskins Trabue, Aaron Trabue, Maj. Cheatham and family, John Hill and family, Isaac Wilson, Seth Wooldridge and Mrs. Elizabeth Hancock. The first services were held at the residence of Stephen Trabue. Soon after that organization a two-story brick house was built on land donated by Edward Curd near Old Allensville. This building was used as a place of worship until 1855, when a frame structure was built on the same site at a cost of about $2,000. In 1875 the church was moved to Allensville and the present brick edifice erected at a cost of about $8,000. The first pastor was Ambrose Bowen. He was followed by John Wilson, then Aaron Trabue, next Wilson Trabue. William Warder came next and preached for a number of years. James Lamb followed and then came F. C. Plasters. Under his administration, which lasted eight years, the frame was built. S. P. Forgy came next; he was pastor sixteen years, and through his instrumentality the church at Allensville was commenced. Since church has been held here, the pastors have been, W. W. Gardner, W. H. Williams and C. W. Dickey. The present pastor is T. W. Bibb. At the last meeting of the association, the society here showed 143 members. The present officers are: Clerk, J. H. Johnson; Deacons, James Small, Dr. P. N. Walton, William Mimms and J. H. Johnson. Services are held here on the first and fourth Sundays in each month. For a number of years a Sunday-school has been held quite regularly. At present there are about forty members. The present officers are: Dr. I. N. Walton, Superintendent; William Mimms, Assistant Superintendent; Frank Johnson, Secretary and Treasurer.
Macedonia Congregation, Christian Church
The first services of this denomination ever held in this district occurred under an arbor in Old Allensville in about 1844. A society was organized, among the members being Martin Hogan, John Colwell, Mrs. Betsey Watkins, Coleman Gill and family, Nathan Penick and family and William Edwards. Meetings were held in this arbor when the weather would permit, for three years. Then a frame church was built about a quarter of a mile south-east of the town. This building continued to be used as a place of worship until 1877, when the present frame church in Allensville was erected at a cost of $2,300. Henry T. Anderson was the first pastor. Rev. C. M. Day was the next, and occupied the pulpit for thirty-five years, followed by W. E. Mobley with a two years’ pastorate, and James Fow with one. The minister now in charge is Rev. E. G. Sewell. Preaching occurs on the second Sunday in each month. At present the membership is about sixty. The officers of the church are as follows: Elders, E. B. Barnes, B. D. Johnson and Robert Carvell; Deacons, W. S. Gill and J. H. Watkins; J. H. Watkins, Clerk. A Sunday-school has been in operation in connection with this church for the past four years. The aver-age attendance is now about thirty. The present Superintendent is B. D. Johnson; Assistant Superintendent, W. S. Gill; Secretary and Treasurer, J. H. Watkins.
Allensville Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1867 from the consolidation of two churches: one, a class that had met in Old Allensville, the other, the Bethlehem Church in Logan County. In an early day the Methodists used to hold camp-meetings in an arbor in Old Allensville, and afterward a class was organized which met for a number of years at Mrs. Covington’s residence. At the organization there were about twenty members. Among them may be mentioned: David Sydnor, F. M. Anderson, Mrs. Estley Muir, E. W. Hughes and family, R. E. Coleman and Col. T. M. Adkins. The first meetings were held in a schoolhouse, but the church was built the same year at a cost of about $3,500. In January, 1884, the edifice was repaired at a cost of about $3,000 more. Among the ministers who have officiated there are: Revs. J. Moore, Hayes Petree, Bottlemy, Brewer, T. Lewis, Spurier, Ed Harrison, Emerson, Gooson, and the present one is Rev. Dr. Keene. The present membership is about seventy. Present officers: Stewards, John Adams, Washington Sydnor, Thomas Williams and Robert Cole-man; Trustees, E. W. Hughes, John Adams and Washington Sydnor; Clerk, John Adams. A Sunday-school has been in operation here some time; it now has an average attendance of about sixty. The present officers are: Thomas Williams, Superintendent; William Shenick, Assistant Superintendent; John Adams, Secretary. The teachers are as follows: Rev. Thomas Hooker, Washington Sydnor, Mrs. Mattie Adams, Mrs. Anna Minor, William Shenick and Mrs. Robert Hooker.
Allensville Lodge No. 182, A. F. & A. M., was organized in about 1849 in Old Allensville. Among the charter members were Benjamin Barnes, M. S. Lasley, Dr. Garrett and a Mr. Waters. The first W. M. was Dr. Garrett, first Secretary Mr. Waters, and M. S. Lasley was the first Steward and Tyler. The lodge first met in a brick storeroom in the town, owned by Mr. Covington. In 1860 the lodge was moved to Allensville, and first met over Wooldridge & Small’s store; next in Dr. Gill’s drug store. After meeting there about four years they next moved to a hall over John Adams’ store, and afterward met in Dr. Richardson’s office. The lodge at one time had about sixty members, but now only about twenty-three are on the books. The last officers elected are as follows: W. M., Col. T. M. Adkins; S. W., Benjamin Barnes; J. W., Dr. Richardson; S. D., W. H. Adams; J. D., Joe E. Rust; Secretary, N. Thomas; Treasurer, John Q. Goodman; Steward and Tyler, H. Mitchell. Since January, 1884, no meetings of the lodge have been held, and the members are talking of surrendering their charter.
Allensville Lodge No: 163, I. 0. 0. F., was organized in 1867 in Allensville by Grand Secretary White, of Louisville. Among the charter members were F. Smith, Elisha, Prince, Joseph Gill, R. D. Bellamy, S. S. Perkins, S. P. Forgy and George A. Payne. The first officers were: F. Smith, N. G.; Elisha Prince, V. G.; R. D. Bellamy, Treasurer; George A. Payne, Secretary; S. P. Forgy, Chaplain. First met over Wooldridge & Small’s store, but afterward met in a hall which they fitted up over Coleman Gill’s drug store. Stated meetings were held until 1870, when the charter was surrendered, lodge disbanded, and most of the members are now connected with. the Keysburg Lodge.
Armstead Lodge No. 1432, K. of H., was organized at Armstead, Logan ‘County, March 4, 1879. The charter members were H. B. Small, J. B. Small, F. M. Page, R. M. Wintersmith, T. F. Small, D. Darby and C. W. Roach. Dr. Kimbrough was the first Director. The lodge continued to meet at Armstead until January, 1884, when it was moved. to Allensville, and now meets in Dr. Richardson’s office. It now has a membership of about twenty-three. The present officers are: J. R. Young, Director; J. B. Small, Reporter; H. B. Small, Financial Re-porter, and Joseph Wilson, Treasurer. The lodge meets on the first and third Saturdays in each month. From 1874 to 1879 what was known as the Pioneer Grange No. 1 was in operation at Allensville. At one time it had about forty members, and was in a very flourishing condition. It finally ran down, however, and the members disbanded. In 1872 John J. Hickman organized a Good Templar Lodge at Allensville, and at one time the lodge had about 140 members. Clay Hunter was the first Worthy Chief Templar. It continued to meet for about three years in the Odd Fellows’ Hall, and then surrendered its charter.
In 1866 the village of Allensville was incorporated. The charter defined the corporation of the town as being ” a mile square, and the limits extending a half mile in any direction from the depot.” In 1878 the records of the town were burned, and, consequently, none but the present° officers can be given. They are as follows: Board, C. E. Haddox, J. T. Young, John Adams, R. D. Bellamy and J. W. Small; N. Thomas, Police Judge F. S. Tyler.