On the Russellville road, five miles east of Elkton, the town of Daysville was first inaugurated as early as 1833. In a very early day a man by the name of Day had a store there, and the little village was named after him. A Mr. Knight also had a store there about the same time Day was there. T. B. Bailey was about the next to do business there, followed by Lewis & Luck. At present the place has about 100 inhabitants, with two stores, one of which is kept by W. F. Cole, the ‘ other by J. W. Lucket. There are also two doctors there, and a blacksmith shop. This point is also one of the voting places of the Elkton District. Among the early pioneers there were many pious people who early turned their attention to the erection of a place of worship. About the first religious organization in this district was the Old School Presbyterian denomination. This society met at what was known as the old Rock-bridge Church. This building was of logs and was built as early as 1812, and stood one mile north of town. Among the early members of this church were Thomas Hadden and family, James and William Paden and their families, and many others. In about 1822 a new brick house was erected on the Greenville road where the Kirkmansville road leaves it. It was two stories high, the upper story being used as a seminary, as we have mentioned above. This edifice continued to be used as a church for some years, and then was finally burned down.
In quite an early day the Cumberland Presbyterians used to hold camp-meetings at a place known as the Hebron Camp Ground, which was located about one mile west of where Daysville now stands. Here large annual gatherings were held for many years, and subsequently a society was organized at this point, and a church built which was known as the Hebron Church. This church continued to be used for some time, and then the society was finally moved to Logan County.
One of the earliest preaching-places in this district was at the residence of Hazle Petrie. Here, soon after he built his house, the Methodist preachers commenced holding class-meetings. Among the first preachers was Peter Cartwright, who was followed by Malone, Axley, Holliday, Thomas A. (afterward Bishop) Morris, Ogden and Lorenzo Dow. His house continued to be a regular meeting-place for some time, and then he afterward built a log-house. This was. called ” Petrie’s Church,” and here religious services continued to be held until about 1837, when Bell’s Chapel was built, three miles west of the old church, near the residence of Rev. C. N. Bell, to which place the society of Petrie’s Church was removed, and there the members continue to worship to this day.