The article provides a brief overview of various communities within the Bald Knob area in Kentucky. It describes the early settlers who migrated to the region and their self-reliant nature. The area experienced population growth in recent years, attracting young families. The article also mentions specific locations, such as Flag Fork, Bailey’s Mill, Flat Creek, Polsgrove Landing, Stoney Creek, and Honeysuckle, along with some historical figures and graveyards associated with these areas.
The once small communities of Flag Fork, Flat Creek, Harp, Harvieland, Honeysuckle, Lebanon, Mt. Zion, O’Nans Bend, Polsgrove Landing, St. John, Stoney Creek and Union Store comprise today, the section of the county we know as Bald Knob. Bordered by the counties of Henry and Scott on the west and the Kentucky River on the east, this rural area of Franklin County holds many of the characteristics known to eastern Kentucky. The land is poor, consisting mainly of hills, only good for grazing. Through the years, erosion from the hills made fertile bottom land which was good for growing corn and tobacco. Life was hard and left little time for social events. Socializing was done in the form of work; a barn raising, hog killing, hay cutting or tobacco housing. The woman and young girls would bring and prepare food; perhaps quilt while the men completed the task at hand.
The early inhabitants of Bald Knob migrated from Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and Pennsylvania. They were a strong people, independent and self-reliant; many of whom were of Germans, Irish and English ancestry. Their faith in religion, belief in hard work and family values sustained them in day to day life. Although still a rural area, in the past few years Bald Knob has experienced renewed population growth. Good roads, city water and available land is making the Bald Knob area a very attractive place to live. Many young families from the city are now making their homes in the area.
Flag and Bailey’s Mill
Located on U. S. 421 just north of Frankfort, around a bend where the road levels out a bit, once stood the little community of Flag Fork. Today, only a road marker stating “Flag Fork” and the of frame building that was once the general store and post office remain. Bailey’s Mill is located just up the road a piece from Flag Fork. I was named for Americus A. Bailey, Jr., who once ran the mill and general store there. James A. Violette, lawyer and postmaster at Bailey’s Mill was once involved in the sale of hardware, groceries and dry goods. Americus and his family still remain at their beloved Bailey’s Mill. Located at the intersection of Harp Pike and U. S. 421 is the BAILEY GRAVEYARD.
Flat Creek and Polsgrove Landing
Some early settlers came to Bald Knob by way of the river. Around 1800, James Brewer, Thomas Brewer, William Harrod and William Lewis came down the river from Harrodsburg to claim land along the banks of the Kentucky River. They brought their families and began to build log homes. The fertile fields of the river bottom lands were plowed and planted with corn and tobacco. This raw, untouched land began to sustain a good living for the early pioneers. The river, which had brought them to this land was now their road to transport their goods to market. Jacob Palzgraff and his wife, Nancy came down the river and settled the area known as Polsgrove Landing. In years to come Polsgrove became a busy river port. A post office was established, churches, stores and lodge halls were built and a cemetery.
Charles B. LeCompte, was a proprietor of a local dry goods and general store. A tobacco warehouse on the river at Flat Creek was operated by M. I. Baker and James Sanford, a building contractor.
Once an area known to Indians, Stoney Creek, the largest creek in the area drops from its headwaters to the Kentucky River at a drop of 160 feet. The creek was a source of pleasure and necessity. The PENN-MARSHALL HOUSE, located in the bottom land of the Kentucky River near the mouth of Stoney Creek.
The PENN GRAVEYARD is located on the left branch of the creek near the river.
Honeysuckle included the area of Harvieland to Dry Ridge to Flat Creek. In 1893 a post office was located at a country store at Honeysuckle, not far from the home of Dr. Robert B. Guinn. A native of Carrollton, he had first settled at Flat Creek. Dr. Guinn practiced medicine in Franklin County from 1920 – 1934.
Also at the end of Stoney Creek Road is the Lewis Graveyard.
Dr. Robert B. and Nancy Guinn
Nancy Jane Goins Chism, daughter of Lewis and Lucretia Rice Goins, married as her second husband, John Gladden Moore, one of the best-known farmers of Honeysuckle. He was an expert in the cultivation of burley tobacco and a fine hunter. John was born in Franklin County November 24, 1835. He died on September 19, 1909. He and his wife Nancy Jane are buried in the GOWENS BURYING GROUND, located on St. John Road in Franklin County, Kentucky