Lod Dulin came to Stewart from South Carolina in 1808, and settled near the mouth of Hall’s Creek on the place now owned by his grandson-Frank Dulin. He was a good farmer and an excellent citizen, and left a worthy family of five sons-Rice, E. G., Daniel M. and Lott W. In his younger days he had been a bricklayer by trade. Stephen B. Stewart from the same State came somewhat earlier, perhaps in the nineties, and located at the ” Red House,” on the road from White Plains to Madisonville. He built a horse-mill on his place, and did the grinding for his neighbors in a circuit of many miles. He had only one son, S. D. B. Stewart, though there were several daughters.
Among the old Revolutionary soldiers who came at a very early day, are found the names of John Knight, of South Carolina, 1790; Dilmus Johnson, also of South Carolina, and present, slightly wounded, at the surrender of Cornwallis; and William Gray, of Spartansburg, S. C., who was in a number of engagements and all through the war, and who settled on the West Fork of Pond River three miles east of Crofton, where he afterward lived and died. Capt. Jonathan Clark, who deserves especial mention, is noticed in a previous chapter as a central figure in the early organization of the county. He was from the Pendleton District in South Carolina, and settled on the same stream as Gray, on the place now owned by John Lewis. He was both a magistrate and surveyor, owned a water-mill, and was altogether an enterprising and useful citizen.
Moses Lacey, Maryland; Robert Lewis, North Carolina, great bear-hunter; Samuel Devina, John Hyde, Dudley Redd, — Atkinson, perhaps John and Daniel Hale, the Campbells and McLeans all came early, and settled within this precinct. These all came about the dawn of the nineteenth or the close of the eighteenth century, and planted the seed of the present population of northeast Christian, and are therefore grouped together in this chapter. Most of them were of the Universalist or Old Baptist way of thinking, while only a small sprinkling of the other denominations was to be found interspersed here and there among them.