For the better execution of the laws in the different departments, and the more convenient dispatch of business, the county was laid off into districts. At a term of the County Court held June 14, 1802, we find the following entry: Ordered, that Christian County be laid off into four districts, agreeable to the following bounds, to wit: The road from Logan court house by Christian court house to William Prince’s-the old road separate the four districts by the first line, and the other line to run from the mouth of Little River along the wagon road to Christian Court House, from that along the new road this day established to Henderson County line on a direction to Robinson’s Salt Works, make the other division; and that that part of the lines including the Pyle settlement be called the ‘ Northeast District ;’ and that part including the Hardin settlement be called the ‘ Northwest District; ‘ and that part including the Means settlement to be called the ` Southeast District; ‘ and that part including the Gillehan settlement to be called the Southwest District. “These districts contained voting precincts, but, under the old Constitution of the State, the voters were not confined to any particular precinct as now, but could cast their ballots any where, or at any voting precinct in the county. And as the election was then continued for three days successively, the large majority combined ” business with pleasure,” and repaired to the county seat for the purpose of exercising their right of franchise.
But under the new Constitution, adopted in 1850, all this was changed. Each voter, by its provisions, is required to vote in the election district in which he lives, and elections are held but for a single day at a time. When the new Constitution went into effect, the county was laid off into a certain number of election districts with a voting precinct in the most central part, and in some of the larger districts, for the greater convenience of the people, there are two voting precincts. These election districts correspond with the townships of the more newly organized States, and have two Magistrates and one Constable to each, who transact the legal business of the district not of sufficient importance to go into the higher courts. With numerous changes in boundaries, and the establishing of a new district or two, the county is at present divided into fifteen election districts-including the new district of Crofton-as follows: No. 1, Hopkinsville District, including the city and precinct; No. 2, Mount Vernon District; No. 3, Pembroke; No. 4, Longview; No. 5, Lafayette; No. 6, Union Schoolhouse; No. 7, Hamby; No. 8, Fruit Hill; No. 9, Scates’ Mill; No. 10, Garrettsburg; No. 11, Bainbridge; No. 12, Casky; No. 13, Stewart; No. 14, Wilson; No. 15, Crofton. The latter has been created since the county map was published, and embraces the country around Crofton Village, being taken from Scates’ Mill, Stewart, Ham-by and Fruit Hill Districts.