Author: Dennis Partridge

Relics of the Revolution

Among the active participants of the Revolutionary war earliest to settle here were Robert Acock, Sr., Michael Kennedy, Samuel Davis, Robert Harris and George Randolph. The latter served eighteen months under Capt. Shelton in Col. Matthew’s regiment of the ” Virginia Line,” and was discharged by Gen. La Fayette. A little later came Charles Hamon and, Charles Hounsler. The latter served under Capt. James Newenn in Col. John Montgomery’s regiment. He enlisted on New River in Virginia; marched thence to Long Island on the Halston River; thence to Big Creek and joined Col. Shelby; thence the forces embarked for Chickamaugatown, Louisiana Territory; thence to Kaskaskia, and from there proceeded to a post at Koko. From this point the command ascended the Illinois River, and thence returned to Kaskaskia, where he was discharged. Mr. Hounsler then enlisted for three years or the war, and was stationed at the falls of the Ohio, where his company remained during the war. On the 7th day of June, 1832, Congress passed an act pensioning soldiers of the Revolutionary war, and the declarations required bring out the fact that quite a number of this class settled in this county after the ones already mentioned. Conrod Lear was one of these, and at that time was ninety-four years old. He enlisted in 1775 with Capt. Ross, and served in the First Regiment of Horse under...

Read More

Reformed or Christian Church, Todd County, Kentucky

This organization is an offshoot of the Baptist Church, and originated in the dissensions of 1829-32, under the guidance of Alexander Campbell. Rev. Barton W. Stone, a Presbyterian clergyman, was the great bead of this reform movement in Kentucky, and the Presbyterian Church may properly be said to have contributed almost as much to the new organization as the Baptists. The dissensions of the general church were felt in Todd County as well, and in 1833 the Zion Christian Church was formed from the Lebanon Baptist Church. Until about 1842 the church was fostered here by itinerant preachers, but at this time Elder C. M. Day entered into the work, and may be called the chief of the early preachers of the denomination in this county. Mr. Day was born in Virginia and educated for the ministry at Richmond. He became interested in the reform, and without any special commission from the church began to labor in Todd County. His work was a labor of love, and done without pecuniary reward. He was a man of remarkable energy and industry, and supported himself and an invalid wife by teaching school at Trenton. His preaching was marked rather by forceful expression and logical deduction than by eloquence. He was not lacking in culture, however, and his earnest, powerful will seemed to control the minds and hearts of his hearers. His...

Read More

Political Development of Todd County, Kentucky

THE final act of State authority in forming and organizing Todd County was the location of the seat of justice. Several points, New-burg, Old Elkton and the present site were in competition for the location. The competition was not very active, and there was but little difference in the advantages offered. At Newburg, James Kendall had established a hotel, the ” half way house ” between Russellville and Hopkinsville, and proposed this location as the most central point eligible for the county seat. Old Elkton had the merit of a good start on the banks of the river, but the new site satisfactorily combined the advantages of the others and added the donation of John Gray. The result was inevitable, and on the second day of the first session of the County Court, the State Commissioners appointed for the purpose made the following report : To THE HONORABLE THE COUNTY COURT OF TODD COUNTY: We the undersigned Commissioners, appointed by an act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, entitled ” An Act for the formation of the County of Todd, out of the Counties of Logan and Christian,” approved 30th of December, 1819, beg leave to submit the following report: Having in pursuance of the aforesaid act met at the house of James Kendall, on the second Monday in May, 1820, and proceeded to the discharge...

Read More

Pioneer Settlers of Trenton Precinct, Todd County, Kentucky

Of the very early pioneers who settled in the district there are many whose coming we cannot locate. They were here so early that there are no chroniclers now left to tell us of their arrival. One of the earliest pioneers in this district was Maj. Sam Moore, who came here some time prior to 1809, and he soon became one of the largest land-owners of the county. At one time he owned nearly the whole of the Trenton District. Land was cheap here in those days. When Mr. Kennedy first came here in 1809 Moore offered him 200 acres of land near the present site of Trenton for his saddle-horse, and all the land he could buy at 50 cents an acre. At that time the land was the wildest of barrens, and Kennedy thought that it was a case of starvation for him to settle there, consequently he declined Moore’s offer. It is also related of Moore that he sold another farm of 300 acres to one of the early pioneers for a couple of calves. Moore lived here for many years, and was one of the leading men of the county. The first authentic date of a settlement being made here is that of 1796. In that year Brewer and Martha Reeves came here from Augusta County, Va., but in a few years after their arrival...

Read More

Pioneer Settlers of Hadensville Precinct

Collins in his ” History of Kentucky ” speaks of some settlements which were made near Elk Fork in what was then Logan County as early as 1785. Exactly where those settlements were, he does not say. But early pioneers tell us of a fort that used to stand within 100 yards of ” Agent ” Spring, only a little way northwest of Guthrie, and which was built in the very earliest settlements of this part of Kentucky. As this is the only fort of which any trace can be found in this region, we are constrained to make this fort the basis of the settlement referred to by Collins. And’ by so doing we claim for this place the name of being the earliest authenticated settlement in Todd County. To-day there are no traces left of a fort or any settlement in this region. In 1850 an’ old bronze medal was turned up by the plowshare, which was probably lost by some occupant of the fort. On the obverse side is an equestrian figure of Frederick the Great, with the legend, ” Fredricks Rorusorum Rex, 1757,” on the margin. On the reverse side is a battle sketch and the marginal legend “Quo nihil majus.” “Rosbach, Nov. 5th, 1757. This is probably one of the medals commemorative of the victory which Frederick had struck from the metal of the...

Read More

Pioneer Settlers of Allensville

To what one of the brave pioneers who came to this portion of the county should be given the honor of first carving out a new home for himself, and then fighting out the possession of it with the savages and the wild beasts, cannot be ascertained by the present historian. The first settlement dates back so far that it is lost in the unrecorded annals of the past. At present there are none of the descendants of those few brave men who first entered these unbroken wilds living in this district, and but little can be ascertained concerning them. In 1808 Bernard Edwards came to this county, and found the following parties living here: George and Thomas Cross were living on the farm now owned by Dr. I. N. Walton. George died here, and lies buried on the place he had settled so many, many years ago. Thomas finally moved to Clarksville, where he died. A son of his is now living in Elkton Precinct. John Hill lived on Elk Creek on part of the farm now owned by Thad Coleman. He lived here for a number of years, and raised a large family of children, but they too have passed away. James Lowry had also made a settlement on land owned now by William Mimms. Three of this pioneer’s grand-children are still living: R. M. Lowry in...

Read More

Pioneer Settlements of Kirkmansv

In an early day game of all kinds was to be found here in great abundance, and probably the first men to enter the confines of the district were the hunters and trappers. These men made no permanent settlement. Some of them perchance built a cabin of poles, which sheltered them from the heavy dews by night. But they were nature’s true noblemen, and their time was spent in the pursuit of game. But this in time became somewhat scarce, and then gathering up their traps they moved onward toward the setting sun, leaving no trace behind. Hence, of their deeds we cannot speak with accuracy. We can only say that as a class they were brave, strong men, willing to bear the many privations and hardships of their class, and were worthy successors of Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton to mark out a way through the wilderness of Kentucky for the coming of the actual settler. The hunters found the timber to be plenty in the northern portion of the county, and water in abundance, and these two necessities of the early pioneer being found wanting in most places in the southern portion of the county, it follows perforce that here the first settlements were made. The first one of the sturdy yeomen of whom any record has been kept is William Redden, who in 1794 secured a...

Read More

Origin of Todd County, Kentucky

Col. John Todd, whose honored name this county bears, was the eldest of three brothers, and a native of Pennsylvania. He was educated in Virginia, at his uncle’s-the Rev. John Todd-and at maturity entered upon the study of the law, subsequently obtaining a license to practice. He left his uncle’s residence, and settled in the town of Fincastle, Va., where he practiced law for several years; but Daniel Boone and others having explored Kentucky, Col. Todd, lured by the descriptions given him of the fertility of the country, about the year 1775 came first to Kentucky, where he found Col. Henderson and others at Boonesboro. He joined Henderson’s party, obtained a pre-emption right, and located sundry tracts of land in the present county of Madison, in Col. Henderson’s land office. He afterward returned to Virginia, and in the year 1786 again set out from Virginia with his friend, John May, and one or two others, for Kentucky. They proceeded some distance together on the journey, when for some cause Mr. May left his servant with Col. Todd to proceed on to their destination, and returned to Virginia. Col. Todd proceeded on to the place where Lexington now stands, and in its immediate vicinity improved two places-the one in his own name and the other in that of his friend, John May-for both of which he obtained certificates for settlement...

Read More

Old Allensville, Todd County, Kentucky

As we have mentioned elsewhere, almost as soon as the old State road and the Elkton and Keysburg road were surveyed, what is known as the town of Old Allensville sprang into existence at the crossing of these two thoroughfares. Most of the land where the town used to stand was owned by P. A. Wines, and now forms part of the land owned by his daughter, Mrs. Sallie Haddox. Exactly how the name Allensville came to be given to this little hamlet is not definitely known. In an early day there was a family of Allens living in the neighborhood, but whether any one of them was ever immediately connected with the town that now bears the family name cannot be ascertained. Probably the first man to have a store there was Ned Trabue. He did business here for some time. Clayborn Wooldridge was another early merchant at this point, also Edward Anderson and Charles Hatcher. At no time were there more than two stores doing business at once at this point. Aside from this there was a blacksmith shop and a collection of some four or five houses. In 1859 Spencer Small and D. B. Hutchings were doing business there. In that year the work on the Memphis Branch of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad was begun, and completed the year following. The railroad crossed the Elkton,...

Read More

Newberg, Todd County, Kentucky

As early as 1815 there was a little hamlet on the Russellville and Hopkinsville road exactly half way between those two points. As early as 1816 Elisha B. Edwards had a store there and ran it for two or three years; it was within a half mile from the center of what is now Todd County, and when the question of constituting Todd began to be agitated, it was thought that that point would become the county seat. In 1817 Maj. John Gray had a store there, followed by James Kendal, who kept store about 1817-18-19. The location of the county seat at Elkton in 1819 was the death-knell of this little town, ‘which soon after ran down....

Read More

Subscribe to Kentucky Genealogy

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Kentucky County Genealogy

Recent Tweets