The parish of Grace Episcopal Church was organized in October, 1831, at a meeting held by the following per-sons: Messrs. George Ward, David Glass, M. D., Livingston Lindsay, James D. Steele, M. D., E. A. Green and David Banks, of Christian County. The Rev. George P. Giddinge, missionary of the Protestant Episcopal Church; Rev. B. B. Smith, of Lexington, afterward Bishop of Kentucky; and the Rev. Gideon McMillan, of Danville, were also present. No record can be found of the original members of the church, but in the parish register, under the date of 1834, we find the names of John Rawlins and wife, Henry Hopson, M. D., Edward Ashley, Penelope M. Giddinge, Albert A. Willis, Rebecca Glass, Lucretia M. , Ward, Abraham Pope, Sarah Wallace, Catherine Hopson, Elizabeth L. Pope and Frances E. Nelson.
The Rev. George P. Giddinge was the first Rector of the parish, succeeded by the Revs. F. B. Nash, George Beckett, Louis Jansen, J. M. Curtis, S. Hermann, W. E. Webb, James J. Page, Gideon B. Perry, Robert M. Baker, Charles Morris and the present incumbent, John H. Venable. No details of their respective labors can be given. Several of them were engaged in teaching, besides their ministerial work, and receive more extended notice in connection with the educational history of Hopkinsville.
The first church edifice was of wood, and was built on Virginia Street, during the rectorship of Rev. Mr. Beckett. Various improvements were made upon it from time to time, but at length, being considered unsafe, it was sold by the vestry in 1882, and a lot purchased on the corner of Court and Liberty Streets. A handsome Gothic edifice of brick with stone trimmings, and capable of seating 300 persons, is now (March, 1884) nearing completion.
The present membership is about seventy-five; Rector, Rev. J. H. Venable; Vestry: Dr. James Wheeler, Senior Warden; George V. Green, Junior Warden; Hunter Wood, William J. Withers, Nathan Gaither, M. H. Nelson, William G. Wheeler and R. H. De Treville, the latter Secretary and Treasurer. A Sunday-school will be organized as soon as the church building is completed and ready for occupation.